Thank you so much for visiting My Written Romance. I hope you enjoy checking out the reviews and partaking in the fabulous world of romance fiction.
Who is this person, you ask?
I am a reader of romance, reviewer of books, frustrated writer, wife of tall man, mum to crazy girl, possessor of zero rhythm or athletic prowess, big fan of kittehs.
In the real world, I inhabit a grey cubicle of doom in corporate land – I love my job, but there is just so much grey fabric surrounding me. I am the proud owner of a ridiculously out-of-control TBR pile. I’m incredibly passionate about reading and writing, and often have to hold myself back from correcting grammar at highly inappropriate moments. I also have an unfortunate tendency towards laughing until I can’t breathe or speak – usually at entirely random things such as product reviews on Amazon (sugarfree gummy bears, people!).
Why be a reviewer?
Simply put, I’ve always loved to read. Ever since my mum started me reading when I was two, I have had an all-consuming love for the written word. I will read pretty much anything – biographies, thrillers, cookbooks – but ever since I was a teenager, my favourite genre has been romance. Give me a silver fox or he who wears his Captain Sexypants any day of the week!
Sometimes the books are crazy, sometime they make me cry, sometimes they make me want to jump into the page and slap someone. However, it is all worth it when at the end of a book, you close the cover and make good book noise….(sigh).
I stumbled across the oh-so-magnificent romance blog Smart Bitches, Trashy Books a few years ago while trying to find something out about a book I wanted to read. I love how they (and many other romance blogs I’ve discovered) are totally unapologetic about their love for romance novels, and the humour with which they often write is completely refreshing.
After finding this, I kept thinking to myself “OK, I’d love to do something like this. I could crap on about books until the cows come home”. Seriously, I would talk to total strangers about books if it wasn’t a little crazy. So late in 2012, I decided to take the leap into reviewing, establishing this site and now here we are.
10 Things You Don’t Know About Me!
1. I can bend the tops of my fingers backwards without moving the lower part.
2. I met my now-husband on ladies night at a dodgy nightclub in Albury (a town in southern NSW)
3. I will stop reading a book if the hero has a mullet.
4. I drove 3,000 kilometres around both islands in New Zealand in 10 days with my husband and his best friend (and managed not to commit GBH against either of them)
5. I read Herman Wouk’s War and Remembrance from cover to cover when I was 11.
6. It could be 40 degrees, but if I am in bed, I have to have my feet covered.
7. I have a serious weakness for Hallmark and Lifetime TV movies.
8. I can get sunburnt anywhere, any time, even when it’s gloomy outside.
9. I am a full foot shorter than my husband.
10. I cannot stand it when people stuff loose paper into files, when there are file fasteners in place.
I don’t do this professionally, I do this because I just love books.